Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dressing for work when you are pregnant


One major challenge I had during my first pregnancy was to dress for work.

My work outfits just don’t fit anymore because either they are made of non-stretch material or they were tailored to fit my non-pregnant body.

The only stretch clothings I had were my casual tees and PJs.

So I resorted to borrowing from my family members...from my hubby and sister’s bigger-sized tees to my dear mother’s stretch pants!!!

And I realized that though the clothes could stretch and last me through all my trimesters, but the fit was just not flattering.

Especially when I needed to meet customers at work, I had to always wear a “fitted” stretch cardigan to look more “professional”. Not much help at all. I looked frumpy and dumpy.

Knowing how to dress for work for each trimester is important, in order to look and feel good.

When I first knew I was pregnant, I wanted to keep my pregnancy under wraps, at least until the second trimester.

This was the most awkward phase where there was no obvious bump to show I was pregnant, yet it was obvious that I had put on weight and had an overall thickening in my waistline.

I couldn’t fit into my existing work clothes. Some of the looser tops now seemed too fitting to be worn, and I couldn’t button up my pants!

Then came the transition from first trimester to second trimester. For me, it seemed like I was a new size up every 2 weeks. My belly and boobs started to grow at an amazing speed, and the clothes I thought fitted me just a few weeks ago suddenly became so tight.

When the third trimester finally arrived, I felt huge and uncomfortable. Suddenly, buttons and zippers became the bane of maternity dressing. It was increasingly torturous to reach for that back or side zip, or even forcing that tiny button into the buttonhole with my clumsy fingers.

If I wore tops that are too billowy or dresses that are tent-like which allowed freedom for my growing shape, I looked more like puffed-up and fat rather than being pregnant.

As much as I enjoyed the malls, shopping for new clothes every month just didn’t seem appealing anymore, especially when it was burning a big hole in the pocket.

So in order not to over-spend on maternity clothings that you wear for a short period of time (or just for a trimester), and to look good where the clothes flatter your changing body shape, as well as accentuate your curves, here are a few suggestions:


1. Invest in a few items that will grow with you (throughout pregnancy and beyond) and look professional enough for the office.


2. Look for pieces that are versatile and have classic designs which are suitable for work and play.


3. And have details like ruching, tie-backs, elasticized waistband or backs and wraps, which let you adjust your clothing as your body grows and changes.


4. Jersey, knits, cotton or anything with stretch are the perfect fabric for this season of your life. What's more, they flatter when you flaunt your bump, which usually will be popping out during this time.


Our picks for the office:

1. Longer tunics (with or without ruching) that flow gracefully over the extra pounds beneath while still having a bit of shape are great for the transition period. Layer with a cropped cardigan or jacket for that organized polished look for work.




2. Tops or dresses which are empire-waisted gives definition to the growing bustline and baby bump. And you can wear them even after the baby has arrived. Added benefit: it's so easy – throw it on and you're good to go!




3. Wrap tops and dresses in a sleek solid colour embrace your curves. With or without sleeves, you'll look perfectly pulled together for the office. As your bump gets bigger and higher, simply tie it higher, giving a much-needed definition between bosom and belly.




4. Elasticized back tops and dresses offer the perfect fit for every stage of your pregnancy without the hassle of tightening of belts, tie or buttons. A bright hue brings out the glowing radiance of your pregnancy joy.


* Royalty Dress as seen on Ms Evelyn Tan, celebrity mummy and SimpleWonder's brand ambassador.

5. Crossover tops can be very slimming and low waistbands add an elegant roundness to your growing belly. Look elegant with a shawl or long drapey cardigan.




6. A versatile pair of dark maternity boot-cut pants or skirt with the stretchy fabric built right into the waistband. The cut and color will flatter you throughout the entire pregnancy and work for almost any work or social situation.




7. And don’t forget to accessorize…skinny belts above the belly, scarves around the neck, necklaces that adds a bit more oomph to your look.


-

For more work ideas, view our Office Styles.
-

No comments: